Assembly House, James Design, Novocastrian, Sophie Thompson, blh Ceramics, Jane Eastwood, Jennifer Stafford
THINK London is the only place to find authentic British design? Think again. The 2015 Northern Design Festival is a spectacular exhibition of top contemporary design talent from northern, national and international designers across graphics, furniture, fashion, ceramics, textiles and lighting. The Festival, which takes place from October 21-25 in The Assembly House, Newcastle, which is a a Grade II listed historic building in city centre that is not usually open to the public.
Assembly House. Novocastrian, blh Ceramics, David Irwin, Jane Eastwood
In honour of Design Event’s tenth anniversary, this year’s Festival is set to be a stellar event. Over its history, Design Event has welcomed over 250,000 visitors and 1,400 designers and held over 120 exhibitions and events.
A rug from the NODE collection by award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, Chris Haughton
Highlights of this year’s Exhibition at the Festival include:
• a site-specific lighting installation by David Irwin using 50 of his M Lamps to celebrate the UK launch of the lamp and to reflect the beauty of the Grade II listed historic building;
• Architecture Open: Work in Progress is a showcase of innovative projects from the RIBA’s design competition, giving an insight into how architects work and develop ideas;
• Festival partners, the Crafts Council, will exhibit work by emerging makers taking part in the Hothouse programme, including jewellery, ceramics, fashion and furniture;
• Northumbria University School of Design presents Tools for Everyday Life – a body of work from its Designers in Residence programme; and
• NODE – a graphics showcase of beautiful rugs by leading artists, designers and illustrators including Sanna Annukka, produced by award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, Chris Haughton from NODE and their fair trade partners in Nepal.
Novocastrian Slate Binate
The 2015 Northern Design Festival also features the hard-to-resist Design Event MART. This is a curated selling exhibition that includes the best in contemporary design from designers from across the North of England, including furniture, ceramics, textiles, lighting, product and jewellery.
Work selected this year includes hand-crafted contemporary pieces rooted in the North East’s industrial heritage from Novocastrian; Nick James’ unique furniture combining natural materials with intelligent design; and dramatic, beautiful designs for furnishing fabrics and cushions by Sophie Thompson. A full list of designers exhibiting in the MART will be published later this summer.
Novocastrian Port Bronze Mirror
In addition to the Design Event MART, the Festival will offer visitors the chance to buy locally designed and made products and prints starting from just £10 in a curated pop up Design Event Store.
According to director Karen Nairstone, “In February this year we were thrilled to win the Homes & Gardens award for best backer of British design and we’re absolutely delighted to continue that work through this year’s Northern Design Festival – and in such a unique venue.”
by Jessica Quillin
The Festival takes place from October 21-25 at The Assembly House, Newcastle.
For information on tickets and opening times, please visit 2015 Northern Design Festival or pay on the door (subject to availability).